50 Gramercy Park
Located alongside Manhattan’s only surviving private park, 50 Gramercy Park North incorporates the remodeled Gramercy Park Annex — completed in 1930 by Thompson & Churchill as a complementary extension to the neighbouring Gramercy Park Hotel — and a slice of entirely new architecture, slipped into the space that lies between the two existing structures. The design simplifies Thompson & Churchill’s original elevations, revealing an underlying formal refinement and allowing the verticals of brickwork to read as contemporary versions of the classical pilaster — monumental in scale but free from any form of ornament. A specially designed window condition articulates the clarified grid. The new architecture is a predominantly glass composition, also articulated in bronze, whose more loft-like proportions bring quiet strength to the elevation.
Mark Treharne, Vishwa Kaushal
Photography: Gilbert McCarragher